- With as many facts as you can gather. Ask help for more facts, no man is an island.
- Keep in mind that there may be facts you don’t have, and these count too.
- Sift through what is relevant and what is not. Many things that seem so are not, many not noticed are.
- Step by step reasoning – with rigour.
- Ask others’ opinions, but not necessarily follow them.
- Parsimony. Too complicated, you know you’ve gone wrong somewhere in the process.
- Examine your motivation for getting one. It colours all of the steps above.
- Don’t jump, go cautiously or it will run away.